What is E-Way Bill?
E-way Bill is an electronic way bill for the movement of goods from one place to another which is to be generated on the E-way bill portal. If the value of goods exceeds ? 50,000 a GST registered person cannot transport goods in a vehicle without an E way Bill. When an E-way bill is generated, a unique E way Bill Number (EBN) is allocated and is available to the supplier, recipient, and transporter.
E WAY BILL VALIDITY:
The validity of the e-way bill depends on the distance where the goods are to be transported. For a distance of less than 100 Km, the e-way bill will be valid for a day from the relevant date. For every 100 Km thereafter, the validity will be an additional one day from the relevant date.
Who should generate an E Way Bill?
- Registered Person – E-way bill must be generated when there is an inter-state movement of goods of more than ? 50,000 (Including tax) in value to or from a registered person. For the intra-state movement of goods, an E-way bill must be generated for the movement of goods of more than the amount as notified by the state governments. Registered person or the transporter may choose to voluntarily generate and carry E way bill even if the value of goods is less than the limits specified above.
- Unregistered Persons – Where a supply is made by an unregistered person to a registered person, the receiver will have to ensure all the compliances are being complied with as if they were the supplier.
- Transporter – Transporters carrying goods by road, air, rail, etc. are also required to generate E Way Bill if the supplier has not generated an E Way Bill.
Documents required to generate E Way Bill:
In order to generate an E way Bill, a consigner should be prepared with the following details:
- Invoice or delivery challan or bill of Supply.
- for transportation of goods by road – Vehicle number/Transporter ID, Part B of E-way bill needs to be filed.
- For transportation of goods by rail, air, or ship – Transporter ID, Transport document number, and date on the document.
Consequences of not generating E-way bill or wrong E-way bill:
- Detention of Goods during the movement.
- Detention of vehicle during movement.
- Confiscation of vehicle or goods on non-payment of penalty within 7 days of detention.
- Sale of vehicle or goods by the officials after confiscation.
- Imposition of penalty of Rs. 10,000 or equivalent amount of tax of goods in transit, whichever is higher.
Taxcellent helps you in GST eWay bill Generation and Integration.